Saturday, January 17, 2015

6 months in the city!

Whenever the subject of my MBA pops in a conversation, the first question that I am asked is, "So, How was it?".

It is quite difficult to give a simple answer that summarizes my real views and emotions. Ever since I moved into the city 6 months back, it has been both and exciting and testing experience. The good was that I made sure that I played all my cards on my job search before finding out where I'd fit best. I chose a project that'd give me the time to do my "Explore" phase of the MBA. I applied to many companies and roles and functions that I'd not have dared to apply to. I even interviewed at places I never expected to work. Sitting at home for a straight 3 months looking for work is never an easy choice. But this is the only way to better myself, be outside my comfort zone with no safety net.

Eventually I worked at a start-up for 3 months, bringing all the MBA frameworks and processes to a place where none existed. It was definitely a lot of fun to continue the college life style and also be paid for it :) But I feel that you need to be invested in mind and money to work in a start-up. I didn't tick both the boxes and luckily for me I had another offer to go into the world of consulting (yet again!).

I am not sure I found what I wanted in the past 15 months of my journey and not sure if what I have is what I want. But the MBA has helped me to objectively face the uncertainties and cope up with it. Would I recommend the MBA to anyone, I would if they think they need one!

I was chatting with a friend who I used to work with and she asked me "Your new job, is that really you?". There are some folks who just know their calling straight out of high school, grad school or B-school. For the rest, including me, I am sure we'll find out!

Until then, everything is awesome! 



No comments:

Post a Comment